Taking the Census: Colorado 1860

Census takers in 1860 reported 34,277 residents in Colorado Territory. Although the area did not become a Territory until 1861, the information was extracted from other territories to appear in The Preliminary Report of the Eighth Census of the United States, issued May 20, 1862. The count came from the small front-range mining communities culled from Nebraska Territory. 
          The reported Colorado population was mostly male. The 2,000 females represented less than 6% of the residents counted.
          The population was predominantly white. There were less than 500 Negroes. In those days the census recorded only White, Negro and Other Races. The Indians of the mountains and plains were not counted. conference logo  The population was young. More than half of residents (55%) were between the ages of 15 and 24. These young people plus the 13,000 residents aged 25-44 comprised 94% of the population. The remaining 6% were people over age 44 and children under age 14.
         
Source: U.S. Census Bureau Series A 195-209. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/statab.html  and choose Bicentennial Edition Part 1

Advertisements
Published in: on April 19, 2010 at 6:00 am  Leave a Comment  
Tags: ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://chipeta.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/census-1860-colorado-profile/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: